Skip to main content

Stuck in the Middle: The Consequences of Falling

At the end of January this year, I had a one night stand. It happened, quite publicly at a party organised by the choir I am a member of. There were several remarkable and highly unusual elements about this, but perhaps nothing more so than the fact that it happened at all.

The other party, a young(er) and most comely member of the contingent of "fresh flesh" just delivered by that season's new intake of chorines, did all the chasing, thus popping my 10-year-old Chorus cherry.

In the morning we parted on amicable terms and electronic correspondence ensued in the following days. However, it very quickly transpired that, to use and paraphrase images of the song that gave part of its title to this post, his pulse didn't quicken like mine, his wishes were not the same as mine and that I was clearly alone in this. "This", being a desire to explore the connection further and see where it could lead us.

Since then, due to circumstances, there has been scant interaction between the two of us. When there has been, it has always been on the most civil and friendly terms but always very short and superficial. Nothing particularly surprising and untoward in all this, you might think.

Yet, four months on, I still find myself pining for what never was. While the part of me stuck in the middle of this is flailing miserably, the bit of me sitting in the stalls with a bucket of pop-corn and incredulously watching this pathetic overflow of bathos is trying rather unsuccessfully to make sense of it all and move on.

One thing is certain: this whole sorry business has little, if anything, to do with the young man (not) involved, who turned out to be merely a catalyst for this combustion I have to contend with. While there is evidence of physical chemistry between us, my inkling is that an intellectual connection would prove much more elusive.

Because of the circumstances of our meeting, I foolishly way-led myself up a blind alley and I haven't found a way to make a u-turn to the main road. I failed to notice the road signs pointing towards Casualville. And somehow a part of me hasn't realised that this IS a blind alley. My problem is the lack of what American sitcoms call closure.

And so, four months on, I still find myself facing the consequences of falling. If anyone has to be blamed in this, it is my inner prepubescent schoolgirl.

Though I had successfully managed to gag her, tie her up and lock her up in the deepest closet at the back of the attic of my mind (please don't call the RSPCC), she has somehow managed to free herself and she is back with a vengeance, starved eyes flaming with anger, forked dried hair snaking in the wind as stormclouds gather around her, anorexic, graceless body bedecked in pink, demanding for romance. Demanding someone special to burden with her crappy life and make her feel better about herself, less alone.

And, as is the case for so many prepubescent schoolgirl (let's call this one Britney), the idea of romance is far more appealing than actual imperfect romance. The appeal of what could have been with its red roses and violins, is very strong indeed and difficult to foreswear.

Envy, in her green, flowing robes, is also hovering close behind Britney, egging her on. The bright flame to which she burned her wings, like a clumsy moth, is good-looking, friendly, and popular, with lots of friends, sending into stark relief the barren cave where she stumbles daily.

It's as if Britney had been given the key to a warm and colourful make-up shop; as if she had been taken on a quick tour of it only to have said key snatched back immediately away from her imploring hands, to be kicked out in the cold, damp, grey street. All this at a time when she felt she was particularly in need of warmth, colour and make-up. Now, she is howling, as the rain runs down her emaciated cheeks: "Why not me?!"

Hopes have been awaken that I had successfully stifled until that fateful night. Hopes I should have known better than to allow flight, for I know it is easier not to have them, and, based on my track record, they are unlikely to ever be fulfilled. Hopes I am only too eager to stuff back into their box and rebury at the bottom of the garden like the decaying corpses that they are, before going back to being alone with my imaginary cats, those that will eat my face when I die.

If only I knew how.

Comments

  1. I just want to send you a big hug. You write beautifully and convey so well the painful questions that come from not gettin' any satisfaction (though you try. And you try. And you tryyyyy. Etc.).

    Chin up! Peut etre pas cette fois ci, mais bientot, et peut etre quand tu t'y attends le moins.

    Lots of love (but not a la Dave Cameron) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind words. However, I am not holding my breath: it hurts more than anything else and blue is not really my colour ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww! Hugs from me too :-( Lay waste to Belfast to get it out your system! Love, xxx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave your comment here. Note that comments are moderated and only those in French or in English will be published. Thank you for taking the time to read this blog and to leave a thought.

Popular posts from this blog

A Short History of the Elephant and Castle and Its Name

Last night I attended a lecture by local historian Stephen Humphrey who discussed the general history of the Elephant & Castle, focussing more particularly on what he called its heyday (between 1850 and 1940). This is part of a week-long art project ( The Elephant Project ) hosted in an empty unit on the first floor of the infamous shopping centre, aiming to chart some of the changes currently happening to the area. When an historian starts talking about the Elephant and Castle, there is one subject he can not possibly avoid, even if he wanted to. Indeed my unsuspecting announcement on Facebook that I was attending such talk prompted a few people to ask the dreaded question: Where does the name of the area come from, for realz? Panoramic view of the Elephant and Castle around 1960/61. Those of us less badly informed than the rest have long discarded the theory that the name comes from the linguistic deformation of "Infanta de Castille", a name which would have become at...

Welcome to Towleroad Readers

On Wednesday, Towleroad , the top gay blog, who win all the awards, were kind enough to link to and quote from my post on Football and Homophobia . This has generated quite a bit a traffic in this otherwise desolate region of the blogosphere. So much so that Wednesday was my highest day ever with 132 hits (previous one was 97), this week is already my highest ever with 317 hits so far (previous one was 287) and this month is the highest month ever with already 865 hits (previous one, last month, was 739, thanks to the posts on the Danish cartoons). So thank you again to Towleroad and welcome to their readers. I hope they like what they see and will be back from time to time.

As Grace

Another picture reconstruction. This time the victim is Grace Jones and her picture by Jean Paul Goude (explained here ) which was used for the cover of her 1985 compilation album, Island Life . Unlike Ms Jones, though, this is all me posing. No reconstruction other than adding the original background and props in Photoshop. See the making-of picture of my version here . Below is another, more elaborate reconstruction of the pic done with the help of photographers Jasmin Teer (photography) and Dan Bosworth (Photoshop) in July 2009. This pic was "The Awesome" in The Goude, The Bad and The Awesome (March 2010).