Skip to main content

Misery Cocktail

When I am tired I often feel mildly depressed. The good thing about today is that I can blame this feeling of depression to something else than just low sugars. First there is what happened this week-end (see previous post).

Taking part in the Pride parade is always a very empowering thing for me. The knowledge of a job well done as a steward helps that feeling. This year was no exception. In addition to the fact that I had been "promoted" and managed to pull it off reasonably well, I hope. Due to my social inadequacies, I was slightly worried as to how to relate to my team. The other problem I was anticipating was using of the radio used by the stewards to communicate between themselves. I am not very good at processing sounds (there is a name for that I think) and sometimes have problems understanding what I am told as a result. The quality of transmission on those radios is truely appalling and is made worst by the fact that people generally talk very quickly and without articulating much. Still despite moments where I could not concentrate on listening any longer, I pulled it off. After that there was the Chorus' stall where things went resonably well, considering that I had never organised a stall before! To crown the day, there was the meeting with The Cute Steward (TCS) which was nice in itself but also opened the flood-gates of hope. Hope that the stirrings I felt towards him were shared and would perhaps make something happen. Hope that, through this, I could finally break this vicious circle of solitude in my life. Hope of normality when relating to people.

Unfortunately, as we all know, where there is a flood, there is usually devastation too.

To top it all, people in the Chorus are getting worried that tickets for the show are not selling fast enough (which to be honest, they aren't) and are starting to send emails to the whole group making uninformed suggestions and virtually saying that I don't know what I am doing. The "best" email I received was thankfully send privately and ran as follows:

"Dear Zefrog

I hate to say I told you so - but I did!

The lack of flyers and posters not yet out are making people very fearful of us not selling the seats. Including myself.

Your lack of experience in the marketing area is obvious, but if you docontinue as marketing Chair try to listen to others with experience.

I would attend steering meetings to raise my concerns but I am working Tuesday eveings. However I will take your advice and put it in writing after the show.

I hope this is not too costly for the LGMC
"

This was my reply:

"I have to say I find your email below both patronising and offensive, coming from someone who has not had the smallest imput in this matter. In my eyes, it only serves to illustrate the point I made in my earlier email to the Chorus about people talking without knowing the whole story.

I would point out that this show has had more press coverage than any show we have done before (and is set get more), and that my "lack of experience in marketing" has led us to print about 7000 more flyers than usual, which will be (as well as our posters) professionally distributed. This guarantees us more visibility than the usual pre-show quick flyering sessions. And this is only highlighting the main points of the promotional campaign which, as far as I am aware, brings together several other steps not previously taken by the Chorus to promote a show.

I would like also to bring to your attention that this was done with about a quarter of the budget that this sort of show usually enjoys.

If you would like to point out where this is showing a 'lack of experience' and how you would have done things better, you are very welcome to do so.

I look forward to reading your email."

I should add that I already had a short conversation with this person a few days ago during a meeting where I was told repeatedly that doing more than we usually do to sell a show would not be enough...

The combination of the rejection from TCS, those stupid emails from people who don't know what they are talking about, the low sugars, is a wonderful and potent cocktail and a perfect receipe for misery. I recommand it!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Short History of the Elephant and Castle and Its Name

Last night I attended a lecture by local historian Stephen Humphrey who discussed the general history of the Elephant & Castle, focussing more particularly on what he called its heyday (between 1850 and 1940). This is part of a week-long art project ( The Elephant Project ) hosted in an empty unit on the first floor of the infamous shopping centre, aiming to chart some of the changes currently happening to the area. When an historian starts talking about the Elephant and Castle, there is one subject he can not possibly avoid, even if he wanted to. Indeed my unsuspecting announcement on Facebook that I was attending such talk prompted a few people to ask the dreaded question: Where does the name of the area come from, for realz? Panoramic view of the Elephant and Castle around 1960/61. Those of us less badly informed than the rest have long discarded the theory that the name comes from the linguistic deformation of "Infanta de Castille", a name which would have become at

Rev. Peter Mullen's Blog

Rev. Peter Mullen is the chaplain to the London Stock Exchange and the rector of St Michael's Cornhill and St Sepulchre without Newgate in the City. Rev. Peter Mullen was also until recently a blogger. Sadly the result of his cyber labour seem to have been deleted but Google has thankfully cached some of it and I have saved a copy for posterity, just in case. The deletion of Rev. Mullen's writings might just have something to do with the fact that last week, the Evening Standard and then the Daily Mail published an article (the same article actually) about some of those very writings (even though the elements of said writings being quoted had been published in June this year, at the time of the blessing ceremony which took place between two members of the Church of England in St Bartholomew the Great - picture ). In the article, we learned what the Rev. thinks about gay people and what should be done to them: We ["Religious believers"] disapprove of homosexuality

Liam Messam and Tamati Ellison Swap Jerseys

I am having a bit of a vacuous evening looking at images of pretty rugby players. Addidas, with its latest viral campaign, Jersey Swap , seems to be squarely aiming at the gay market with a selection of five antipodean rugby players, visitor to the website can select and see take their tops off and... well... swap jersey (those interested can create posters too). My favorites of the bunch are Liam Messam and Tamati Ellison . The pictures of their pretty faces and bulging naked torsos (excuse me while I sit down for a second!) included to this post should tell you why. A job well done for Addidas. This will go round the Internet for a while, I think.