Skip to main content

What's the Point of JobCentre - Part 2

On the day where we learn that the number of jobseekers as gone up once again to reach over eight million, it is probably time for an update on my experience with JobCentre and share a few more nuggets.

I still haven't found an answer to the question I first posed back in June, other than that they are there to administer people's claims.

In the past couple of months, I have not received one bit of advice from them on looking for a job. The only advice comes from friend and from a kind recruitment agent who took an hour of his time to explain to me about what I think are called "functional CVs". I will certainly give those a try. It's not like I have anything to lose.

Last week I went to sign at my scheduled time and was informed that I would have to attend a compulsory group session the next day. When I queried the very short notice, I was informed that they normally give a week. I also had the opportunity to explain to the clerk how email job alerts work. Shouldn't they know about these things?

The next day I attended the session. I was aghast when we were told that would start 2 minutes late. People apparently complain when they start on time. I find it absolutely unbelievable that JobCentre not only condones but effectively encourages such behaviour, when they should help people learn that most basic of disciplines.

The session itself was an introduction to the workings of the Jobcentre. Apart from its self-congratulatory tone, it was of little help and came about two months too late. Still, I managed to finally get an answer the questions I had emailed to my advisor, whom I suspect to have gone on maternity leave without setting up her out-of-office assistant. Why else would she ignore my emails?!

On a more positive note, this week, I received notification that I would receive Housing Benefit and a Council Tax credit. This didn't go quite as smoothly as one could have expected. Together with the notices for each respective benefits, came a third one stating that my claim had been denied. Confused, I rang the relevant Council service to be told that I could disregard this third piece of paper.

Why send it? And why send the letter I received a few weeks ago asking me to provide some information I had provided in person only a week before?! That letter actually did contain a line that it should be disregarded should I have already provided the information.

Still, I supposed I shouldn't complain. My Housing Benefit amounts to more than my actual rent by £64 per month...


Comments

  1. I understand your frustration but surely after 9 years in London you must have got used to this standard of service.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, I usually keep well clear of public services, but in any case the perfectionist streak in me is just crying out when faced with that sort of thing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave your comment here. Note that comments are moderated and only those in French or in English will be published. Thank you for taking the time to read this blog and to leave a thought.

Popular posts from this blog

A Short History of the Elephant and Castle and Its Name

Last night I attended a lecture by local historian Stephen Humphrey who discussed the general history of the Elephant & Castle, focussing more particularly on what he called its heyday (between 1850 and 1940). This is part of a week-long art project ( The Elephant Project ) hosted in an empty unit on the first floor of the infamous shopping centre, aiming to chart some of the changes currently happening to the area. When an historian starts talking about the Elephant and Castle, there is one subject he can not possibly avoid, even if he wanted to. Indeed my unsuspecting announcement on Facebook that I was attending such talk prompted a few people to ask the dreaded question: Where does the name of the area come from, for realz? Panoramic view of the Elephant and Castle around 1960/61. Those of us less badly informed than the rest have long discarded the theory that the name comes from the linguistic deformation of "Infanta de Castille", a name which would have become at

Rev. Peter Mullen's Blog

Rev. Peter Mullen is the chaplain to the London Stock Exchange and the rector of St Michael's Cornhill and St Sepulchre without Newgate in the City. Rev. Peter Mullen was also until recently a blogger. Sadly the result of his cyber labour seem to have been deleted but Google has thankfully cached some of it and I have saved a copy for posterity, just in case. The deletion of Rev. Mullen's writings might just have something to do with the fact that last week, the Evening Standard and then the Daily Mail published an article (the same article actually) about some of those very writings (even though the elements of said writings being quoted had been published in June this year, at the time of the blessing ceremony which took place between two members of the Church of England in St Bartholomew the Great - picture ). In the article, we learned what the Rev. thinks about gay people and what should be done to them: We ["Religious believers"] disapprove of homosexuality

Liam Messam and Tamati Ellison Swap Jerseys

I am having a bit of a vacuous evening looking at images of pretty rugby players. Addidas, with its latest viral campaign, Jersey Swap , seems to be squarely aiming at the gay market with a selection of five antipodean rugby players, visitor to the website can select and see take their tops off and... well... swap jersey (those interested can create posters too). My favorites of the bunch are Liam Messam and Tamati Ellison . The pictures of their pretty faces and bulging naked torsos (excuse me while I sit down for a second!) included to this post should tell you why. A job well done for Addidas. This will go round the Internet for a while, I think.