Skip to main content

Busy

Last week was busy to say the least. I had something on each and every evening, be it a rehearsal or a meeting. The week-end however provided the highlights. I won't tell you about Friday, since, the lost boy has done it for me.

The next morning, I managed to wake up a reasonably good shape (and without a headache!) and made my way on time to the Royal Festival Hall where coaches were to pick me and my fellow chorines up and take you to Cardiff. As part of the celebrations of our 15th anniversary, the Chorus was taking its madness to sunny Wales for the first time. This was my first visit there too.

We did not have much time to explore much however. Arriving at 3.30pm, we went directly on stage for the technical rehearsal and only came out again at 6pm for an hour break before the show. I had brought my dinner with me but having decided that I needed more water (always important when you sing), I went hunting for a supermarket of some sort. I was rather dismayed to notice that, while the crowds were still out en force on that balmy evening, most shops had already closed.

The show went very well. It was probably one of our best performances ever. It was however a pity that so few people (about 200 out of a potential audience of 2000) got to enjoy this. They made up for this in enthusiasm however. Marketing its shows outside of London is a recurant problem for the Chorus but thankfully one which is not really my problem any more.

The Chorus AGM was taking place last night with the election of a new Steering Commitee. I had decided not to stand for re-election and I have returned to the annonymity of the main group although I intend to stay involved with the marketing committee. It dawned on me, as I was attending the proceedings that I would probably not have been re-elected anyway, such is people's lack of understanding of the issues.

I heard some encouraging things from some of the candidates however and I will undertake a lobbying campaign with a couple of old proposals I made some time ago which had passed completely unnoticed by my fellow committee members.

We were thankfully whisked back to London straight after the show and by 2am, I was in bed. On sunday, I indulged in The-Weekly-Cultural-Outing-To-Tesco before joining the July meeting of my reading group. In late afternoon, I went to that little corner of dried grass and litter which sits across the road from the Old Vic and exposed myself to the crowds passing by on buses and the sun. My only proper time off on my own for the past week and until the coming Friday (if something does not come up at the last minute).


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Short History of the Elephant and Castle and Its Name

Last night I attended a lecture by local historian Stephen Humphrey who discussed the general history of the Elephant & Castle, focussing more particularly on what he called its heyday (between 1850 and 1940). This is part of a week-long art project ( The Elephant Project ) hosted in an empty unit on the first floor of the infamous shopping centre, aiming to chart some of the changes currently happening to the area. When an historian starts talking about the Elephant and Castle, there is one subject he can not possibly avoid, even if he wanted to. Indeed my unsuspecting announcement on Facebook that I was attending such talk prompted a few people to ask the dreaded question: Where does the name of the area come from, for realz? Panoramic view of the Elephant and Castle around 1960/61. Those of us less badly informed than the rest have long discarded the theory that the name comes from the linguistic deformation of "Infanta de Castille", a name which would have become at...

Welcome to Towleroad Readers

On Wednesday, Towleroad , the top gay blog, who win all the awards, were kind enough to link to and quote from my post on Football and Homophobia . This has generated quite a bit a traffic in this otherwise desolate region of the blogosphere. So much so that Wednesday was my highest day ever with 132 hits (previous one was 97), this week is already my highest ever with 317 hits so far (previous one was 287) and this month is the highest month ever with already 865 hits (previous one, last month, was 739, thanks to the posts on the Danish cartoons). So thank you again to Towleroad and welcome to their readers. I hope they like what they see and will be back from time to time.

As Grace

Another picture reconstruction. This time the victim is Grace Jones and her picture by Jean Paul Goude (explained here ) which was used for the cover of her 1985 compilation album, Island Life . Unlike Ms Jones, though, this is all me posing. No reconstruction other than adding the original background and props in Photoshop. See the making-of picture of my version here . Below is another, more elaborate reconstruction of the pic done with the help of photographers Jasmin Teer (photography) and Dan Bosworth (Photoshop) in July 2009. This pic was "The Awesome" in The Goude, The Bad and The Awesome (March 2010).