Skip to main content

Part One - Nine Dead Gay Guys

July 5th was the fifth anniversary of my moving to London. A date I feel much more inclined to celebrate than my birthday to be honest.

In those five years I have come to do things I would never have had the chance to do in a lifetime, had I stayed in Haute-Marne. With the Chorus, I have sung in several very prestigious venues around the world and my name appears in two of their CDs (there is a third one in preparation for Christmas). I have appeared in Court... on the prosecution side, representing the Council I work for. I am the moderator of a gay reading group for which I have designed the website. Although I have never met him, I have an open invitation from David Bowie to come and check out his collection of first editions the next (read: first) time I am in New York.... (don't ask!)

Just a few months after I arrived in London, I saw an advert in the Pink Paper asking for volunteers to take part as extras in a club scene for a small budget film. As was no working yet and had therefore plenty of time on my hands, I decided to go along and see what it was like. We went through the casting process in building just off Carnaby Street. The crew took pictures of us and all that. Some time later, I got contacted by them and they asked me if I didn't mind growing a beard. I was not going to be part of the gay club scene after all but I would walk back and forth on a street in a couple of scene for the film... as an orthodox jew!

We spent the whole day to shoot only a few seconds of the film and that was it. I didn't hear anything else for a couple of years, until the film finally got shown at the Cannes Festival and then was released in UK. I saw the film and although it didn't do to badly, I wasn't particularly impressed. A failed attempt at doing something different, is how I would describe it. The strange thing is that a friend of mine, who did not know I was in it, saw the film and actually recognised me... They made a DVD out of it of which I bought a copy I never watched (for my archives).

When I saw the film, I was quite surprised to see that I had actually been listed in the credits at the end. I was no less surprised some time later to discover that I now had a filmography and a profile on the reputed Internet Movie Database.

A few days ago. I got an email through the Chorus from someone asking for extras in a few club scenes. I booked two days off work and contacted the guy, saying I would be there. The shooting was taking place today and will carry on tomorrow.

To be continued....



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Short History of the Elephant and Castle and Its Name

Last night I attended a lecture by local historian Stephen Humphrey who discussed the general history of the Elephant & Castle, focussing more particularly on what he called its heyday (between 1850 and 1940). This is part of a week-long art project ( The Elephant Project ) hosted in an empty unit on the first floor of the infamous shopping centre, aiming to chart some of the changes currently happening to the area. When an historian starts talking about the Elephant and Castle, there is one subject he can not possibly avoid, even if he wanted to. Indeed my unsuspecting announcement on Facebook that I was attending such talk prompted a few people to ask the dreaded question: Where does the name of the area come from, for realz? Panoramic view of the Elephant and Castle around 1960/61. Those of us less badly informed than the rest have long discarded the theory that the name comes from the linguistic deformation of "Infanta de Castille", a name which would have become at

Rev. Peter Mullen's Blog

Rev. Peter Mullen is the chaplain to the London Stock Exchange and the rector of St Michael's Cornhill and St Sepulchre without Newgate in the City. Rev. Peter Mullen was also until recently a blogger. Sadly the result of his cyber labour seem to have been deleted but Google has thankfully cached some of it and I have saved a copy for posterity, just in case. The deletion of Rev. Mullen's writings might just have something to do with the fact that last week, the Evening Standard and then the Daily Mail published an article (the same article actually) about some of those very writings (even though the elements of said writings being quoted had been published in June this year, at the time of the blessing ceremony which took place between two members of the Church of England in St Bartholomew the Great - picture ). In the article, we learned what the Rev. thinks about gay people and what should be done to them: We ["Religious believers"] disapprove of homosexuality

Liam Messam and Tamati Ellison Swap Jerseys

I am having a bit of a vacuous evening looking at images of pretty rugby players. Addidas, with its latest viral campaign, Jersey Swap , seems to be squarely aiming at the gay market with a selection of five antipodean rugby players, visitor to the website can select and see take their tops off and... well... swap jersey (those interested can create posters too). My favorites of the bunch are Liam Messam and Tamati Ellison . The pictures of their pretty faces and bulging naked torsos (excuse me while I sit down for a second!) included to this post should tell you why. A job well done for Addidas. This will go round the Internet for a while, I think.