Skip to main content

The Week-End

Started as planned on Friday with Slightly's Birthday dinner with a few old friends. As planned too, he received the book I found on the bus on Thursday; wrapped in the first page of Creative Week.

I have a feeling a was a bit more impressed by his other present though. I had jokingly included small folding maps of London to the packages and he seemed to like those to.

The dinner went well and Slightly did indeed seem to forget his birthday blues.

I had an all day rehearsal for the upcoming show on Saturday...

On Sunday, after the Weekly-Cultural-Outing-to-Tesco and scrumbing the bathroom (I live such a glamourous life!), I met up with Slightly again for an introduction to his brother TE. Things seem to be getting serious between us if he is starting to introduce me to his family! Although the two brothers don't exactly look alike, they are very clearly made from the same clay.

Between running the shops of the a military jacket and going to see a film, we did not have to much time to talk but the brother seemed a nice enough chap. The film we went to was Memoirs of a Geisha. It was much better than the trailer seemed to promise and, as far as I could remember, fairly accurate an adaptation of the book. It was also beautifully shot but not quite as enjoyable as the director's first effort for the big screen. I think the problem was that there was no time for exposition at the beginning of the film which would have allowed us to warm to the characters. It all looked very glossy but I could not really relate.

After the film, I left Slightly and TE. They went to Wong Key for dinner while I rushed to ciname next door for a second service of filmic delights. This time it was a French comedy I had wanted to see for while: Cockles and Muscles. I wasn't disappointed. This is a light and fluffy summer holiday flick which makes you laugh throughout and puts a smile on your face as you leave the cinema.

Before the film we were also treated to the screening of lovely short film by Hong Khaou. A coming out story between two teenaged friends filmed on Hampstead Heath called Summer; members of the cast (including the rather lovely Peter Peralta were there for a quick Q&A. The short will be shown with Cockles and Muscles throughout its run at the Curzon Soho cinema.

This morning, the new week (9 days to go before the end of my stint where I work now!!!) started with a bit of a shock. As I was having breakfast, one hear on the today programme, I suddenly recognise the voice of one of my new partner, with whom I had dinner on Firday at Slightly's do...


Tags: , , , , , , , .

Comments

  1. why so mysterious? why can i not see your face? and what is a androphile..

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave your comment here. Note that comments are moderated and only those in French or in English will be published. Thank you for taking the time to read this blog and to leave a thought.

Popular posts from this blog

A Short History of the Elephant and Castle and Its Name

Last night I attended a lecture by local historian Stephen Humphrey who discussed the general history of the Elephant & Castle, focussing more particularly on what he called its heyday (between 1850 and 1940). This is part of a week-long art project ( The Elephant Project ) hosted in an empty unit on the first floor of the infamous shopping centre, aiming to chart some of the changes currently happening to the area. When an historian starts talking about the Elephant and Castle, there is one subject he can not possibly avoid, even if he wanted to. Indeed my unsuspecting announcement on Facebook that I was attending such talk prompted a few people to ask the dreaded question: Where does the name of the area come from, for realz? Panoramic view of the Elephant and Castle around 1960/61. Those of us less badly informed than the rest have long discarded the theory that the name comes from the linguistic deformation of "Infanta de Castille", a name which would have become at

Rev. Peter Mullen's Blog

Rev. Peter Mullen is the chaplain to the London Stock Exchange and the rector of St Michael's Cornhill and St Sepulchre without Newgate in the City. Rev. Peter Mullen was also until recently a blogger. Sadly the result of his cyber labour seem to have been deleted but Google has thankfully cached some of it and I have saved a copy for posterity, just in case. The deletion of Rev. Mullen's writings might just have something to do with the fact that last week, the Evening Standard and then the Daily Mail published an article (the same article actually) about some of those very writings (even though the elements of said writings being quoted had been published in June this year, at the time of the blessing ceremony which took place between two members of the Church of England in St Bartholomew the Great - picture ). In the article, we learned what the Rev. thinks about gay people and what should be done to them: We ["Religious believers"] disapprove of homosexuality

Liam Messam and Tamati Ellison Swap Jerseys

I am having a bit of a vacuous evening looking at images of pretty rugby players. Addidas, with its latest viral campaign, Jersey Swap , seems to be squarely aiming at the gay market with a selection of five antipodean rugby players, visitor to the website can select and see take their tops off and... well... swap jersey (those interested can create posters too). My favorites of the bunch are Liam Messam and Tamati Ellison . The pictures of their pretty faces and bulging naked torsos (excuse me while I sit down for a second!) included to this post should tell you why. A job well done for Addidas. This will go round the Internet for a while, I think.