Friday, 21 October 2005

RIP

I have just received this email from my mother:
Salut. Te souviens-tu de R. P., la soeur de ton parrain ? A 83 ans, elle s'est suicidée en se jetant dans la Saône. Bisous.

Translation: "Hi. Do you remember R.P., your godfather's sister [My godfather is the husband of one of my aunts]? At 83, she committed suicide by throwing herself in the Saône. Kisses."

I didn't know the woman; I have only met her a couple of times. I don't know why she did it (apparently she was depressed and had made several attempts already) but I find this act very courageous, especially at an age when one is so used to living and being alive, it must be like a bad habit. Courageous is probably the wrong word anyway. I would imagine that when someone kill themselves, courage does not really come into the equation, although drowning doesn't seem to be the "nicest" way of doing this.

In anycase, I hope she has found the peace she wanted so much.



1 comment:

  1. Really sorry to hear that.

    I don't see why you should not see her as courageous, it takes a person who is very strong to undertake such a thing and go through with it.

    I hope you are ok x

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comment here. Note that comments are moderated and only those in French or in English will be published. Thank you for taking the time to read this blog and to leave a thought.