Skip to main content

What the Christian Right Doesn't Want You to See Anymore

The offensive What The Government Doesn't Want You To Know YouTube video I referred to in this post yesterday, has now been "removed by the user".

I thankfully had thought about downloading it yesterday (using a nifty little Firefox add-on), so I now have a copy for future reference. Was it only intended as a teaser for the demonstration it advertised to be taken down as soon as the demo had passed or has there been some (internal) pressure? We will never know.

As friend of mine, who has seen the thing, expressed the following thoughts by email:
Appalling and dangerous, but can anyone other than enshrined bigots really take such propaganda seriously? Like you I worry about such things but think (hope) they only really reach the small number of warped individuals that common sense and decency never will.

However.... I follow American gay issues and have noted in recent months an upsurge in right wing campaigns against any sex and equality discussions in schools and colleges. In state after state battles are underway and it seems a growing form of 'gaybashing'.


I have to say I unfortunately don't share his optimism. Having been to the demo in January, I am aware that the majority of the people attending did not have a clue as to why they were there. Certianly they were quite happy to believe what they had been told about the SOR without checking for themselves. I also know that the YouTube video had had over 18000 hits.

This could potentially do a lot of damage considering how emotive people can be when children are involved. The very reason, I would imagine, why the fundies are, now that nothing else seem to be working, concentrating on schools for their homophobic scaremongering...

Yesterday's defeat must have enraged them to an even higher point of irrationality. I think we must prepare ourselves for new vicious attacks. Unfortunately


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Short History of the Elephant and Castle and Its Name

Last night I attended a lecture by local historian Stephen Humphrey who discussed the general history of the Elephant & Castle, focussing more particularly on what he called its heyday (between 1850 and 1940). This is part of a week-long art project ( The Elephant Project ) hosted in an empty unit on the first floor of the infamous shopping centre, aiming to chart some of the changes currently happening to the area. When an historian starts talking about the Elephant and Castle, there is one subject he can not possibly avoid, even if he wanted to. Indeed my unsuspecting announcement on Facebook that I was attending such talk prompted a few people to ask the dreaded question: Where does the name of the area come from, for realz? Panoramic view of the Elephant and Castle around 1960/61. Those of us less badly informed than the rest have long discarded the theory that the name comes from the linguistic deformation of "Infanta de Castille", a name which would have become at...

Welcome to Towleroad Readers

On Wednesday, Towleroad , the top gay blog, who win all the awards, were kind enough to link to and quote from my post on Football and Homophobia . This has generated quite a bit a traffic in this otherwise desolate region of the blogosphere. So much so that Wednesday was my highest day ever with 132 hits (previous one was 97), this week is already my highest ever with 317 hits so far (previous one was 287) and this month is the highest month ever with already 865 hits (previous one, last month, was 739, thanks to the posts on the Danish cartoons). So thank you again to Towleroad and welcome to their readers. I hope they like what they see and will be back from time to time.

As Grace

Another picture reconstruction. This time the victim is Grace Jones and her picture by Jean Paul Goude (explained here ) which was used for the cover of her 1985 compilation album, Island Life . Unlike Ms Jones, though, this is all me posing. No reconstruction other than adding the original background and props in Photoshop. See the making-of picture of my version here . Below is another, more elaborate reconstruction of the pic done with the help of photographers Jasmin Teer (photography) and Dan Bosworth (Photoshop) in July 2009. This pic was "The Awesome" in The Goude, The Bad and The Awesome (March 2010).