Skip to main content

Big Brother and Other Madness

Background to this post:
Big Brother, Rula Lenska and Me
Big Brother, Rula Lenska and Me - Update 1

I was feeling a bit (and quite stupidly) smug on Friday evening riding the 171 bus on my way home when I got another call from a forth BBLB researcher, surrounded by those people who were probably fans of the show. This call however mark the start of a rather stressful twenty-four hours. It was to confirm that they wanted us on Sunday to sing six or seven ten second segments during Rula's interview.

From there I had to liase with the musical director to sort out the details, including repertoire. There was also an issue with who would take part in the gig. Because BBLB is shot in a small studio, they could not accomodate more than ten people. For quality reason, Charlie (our Musical Director) had said that he wanted to have eight singers (that's two per voice part or section). When we asked for volunteers during the week, we got about ten people responded to the call. Unfortunately most of the were from the lowere sections. This meant a problem of balance. By the time we were on on sunday, I was the only tenor left out of the four there should have been in the group. Charlie and I decided to then ask the Chorus' Small Group to step in and do the gig. Most of the original volunteers were part of the Small Group anyway.

The Small Group is a selection of Chorus members who have been auditioned (the Chorus is an open access organisation and members are only voices tested when they join) and have extra rehearsals to be able to do gigs at the last minute (as a "rapid response task force") but also to do paid fundraising gigs for the Chorus.

After liasing with several people during the whole of Saturday, leaving messages and generally trying to get responses from people who didn't seem to want to respond, I made my way to a performance the Chorus was taking part in with the Pink Singers and Rainbow Voices at the Royal Academy of Music. The RAM should, of course, not be mixed up with the Royal College of Music: different organisations, different purposes and, crucially, different locations. Something I did not quite realised at the time; I ended up in the wrong place, not sure where the other one was or how to get there.

After some walking, waiting for a bus, more walking, a descent in entrails of the tube system (something I only do in cases of emergency these days: I find buses much cheaper and roughly as fast) and some walking again, I ended up where I should have gone in the first place about an hour late. I had by then missed warm up and rehearsal as well as the will to go on stage. I was a bit flustered to be honest, what with kicking myself for being so stupid, making two phone calls regarding the BBLB business on the way and trying to be as quick as possible. I must have looked the part too: Charlie, who only really knows me by sight, actually gave me a hug, saying that I looked like I needed one!

While the show started (with Rainbow Voices), I had a quick meeting with Charlie and Simon (our accompanist) to decide on a possible repertoire before reporting to the researcher. Charlie and Simon had just left the green room when the researcher rang me back, saying the producers of the show felt it was now too late and they would not be able to clear the rights for the song we had suggested. That was it for us. Rula and her agent had ealier agreed enthusiastically as ever to her performing Mad About the Boy with us.

I joined the Chorus where they were waiting to go on stage and broke the news to Simon and then Charlie, who in turn broke it (rather cheerfully) to the chorines.

After that, I felt I had not much else to do or contribute and since (this is my guilty secret) I don't particularly like listening to choral music, I decided to leave. I texted Slightly who informed me his plans for the evening had fallen through too. We decided to meet and the rest is (almost) history.

The decision to use the Small Group sparked some reactions from some of the volunteers. More on this in a later post...

----------------------------------------

Rula's Secret (aluded to in the previews post) was that she managed to smuggle a phone in the house (apparently in her shoes). If you thought she was spending an inordinate amount of time under her duvet, this is because she was spending that time texting...



Tags: , , , , , , , , , .

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Short History of the Elephant and Castle and Its Name

Last night I attended a lecture by local historian Stephen Humphrey who discussed the general history of the Elephant & Castle, focussing more particularly on what he called its heyday (between 1850 and 1940). This is part of a week-long art project ( The Elephant Project ) hosted in an empty unit on the first floor of the infamous shopping centre, aiming to chart some of the changes currently happening to the area. When an historian starts talking about the Elephant and Castle, there is one subject he can not possibly avoid, even if he wanted to. Indeed my unsuspecting announcement on Facebook that I was attending such talk prompted a few people to ask the dreaded question: Where does the name of the area come from, for realz? Panoramic view of the Elephant and Castle around 1960/61. Those of us less badly informed than the rest have long discarded the theory that the name comes from the linguistic deformation of "Infanta de Castille", a name which would have become at

Rev. Peter Mullen's Blog

Rev. Peter Mullen is the chaplain to the London Stock Exchange and the rector of St Michael's Cornhill and St Sepulchre without Newgate in the City. Rev. Peter Mullen was also until recently a blogger. Sadly the result of his cyber labour seem to have been deleted but Google has thankfully cached some of it and I have saved a copy for posterity, just in case. The deletion of Rev. Mullen's writings might just have something to do with the fact that last week, the Evening Standard and then the Daily Mail published an article (the same article actually) about some of those very writings (even though the elements of said writings being quoted had been published in June this year, at the time of the blessing ceremony which took place between two members of the Church of England in St Bartholomew the Great - picture ). In the article, we learned what the Rev. thinks about gay people and what should be done to them: We ["Religious believers"] disapprove of homosexuality

Liam Messam and Tamati Ellison Swap Jerseys

I am having a bit of a vacuous evening looking at images of pretty rugby players. Addidas, with its latest viral campaign, Jersey Swap , seems to be squarely aiming at the gay market with a selection of five antipodean rugby players, visitor to the website can select and see take their tops off and... well... swap jersey (those interested can create posters too). My favorites of the bunch are Liam Messam and Tamati Ellison . The pictures of their pretty faces and bulging naked torsos (excuse me while I sit down for a second!) included to this post should tell you why. A job well done for Addidas. This will go round the Internet for a while, I think.